Are you overweight? Do you want to start a diet to lose that extra weight?
This can be very difficult at first if you don’t know which food is healthy for you and which isn`t.
But regardless of the food, I have to tell you, it doesn`t matter if a food is healthier or not if you overuse it. For example, an avocado is a very healthy fruit (yes, it is a fruit, not a vegetable), and you can eat a half or maybe a complete one, but if you eat 10 avocados a day, well, you are going to gain fat.
So I`m going to do a list of the best foods to lose weight but you have to eat them with moderation.
1.- Hard boiled eggs.
Eggs had a very bad fame because there was the belief that they could increase cholesterol and that they were dangerous for our health for increasing the rate of heart attack. Recent studies have discarded all these believes, so you can safely eat them.
So why eat them? Eggs are full of high-quality protein and they are full of nutrients with a very low-calorie rate. Also, they can help you to feel satiety very fast and for a long period of time.
The best way to eat them is hard-boiled because this way you don’t add any oil`s calories if you make fried eggs.
If you don`t know how to make the perfect hardboiled eggs here are the instructions:
- Put the eggs in a pan and fill it with cold water. The eggs must be under 1 inch of water.
- Turn the heat on and wait until it fully boils.
- Turn the heat off and cover the pan.
- Wait from 10 to 15 minutes. (It can be less if you want soft boiled eggs)
- Tap each top and put them to cool off in cold water. Peel.
Hard-boiled eggs can make a very healthy breakfast that helps you to lose weight.
In general, natural uncooked fruits are very healthy, but some fruits can have more calories than others, especially the sweet ones.
Here are some benefits from eating apples:
- Are full of antioxidant substances
- Help to reduce the total cholesterol in our body
- Helps the body to regulate the sugar in the blood.
- Have anti-cancer properties
- Have anti-asthma benefits.
Apples contain pectin, a substance that can help to reduce hunger. Also, you will feel satiety faster.
There are a lot of types of apples, being the red ones the sweetest and the ones with more calories, and the green ones have the lowest calories (about 30% less than the red ones)
Don`t forget to eat them uncooked and with the skin on, and remember, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”.
Fish, in general, are very good source of protein, and oily fish like sardines, trout, and salmon contains a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids which are essential nutrients that have a lot of benefits for our body:
- Help to prevent heart attacks
- They help to regulate cholesterol and triglycerides in our blood.
Here is a healthy way to cook salmon:
- 1 Salmon fillet (200 grams approx.).
- One pinch of garlic salt
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- Half tbsp. of olive oil.
- Put the salmon in a glass dish.
- Combine all ingredients and spread them on the fillet.
- Turn the fillet several times to coat all sides of the salmon
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Remove the salmon from the refrigerator 10 minutes before putting it in the oven.
- If the salmon fillet has skin on it, lay the skin side facing the glass dish.
- Cover the glass dish with an aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy a delicious healthy food.
4-. Leafy greens
You always should have some leafy greens on your main meal of the day. Not only they have multiple vitamins and minerals, but they help to increases the volume of your meal without increasing calories. Some of them are good sources of calcium, which helps to reduce weight.
The best leafy greens are Kale, Collards, turnip greens, Swiss chard, and spinach.
The kale overthrow spinach as the top leafy green because it has A, C and K vitamins, a good amount of calcium and potassium. You can make kale juice or use it in your sandwiches instead of lettuce, and of course, in your preferable salad.
Another fish that is a very low-fat food and is full of proteins. They can grow from 1 foot to 15 feet long and can live from 3 to 5 years.
Tuna fish can be found in all world oceans and is a very appreciate fish because it is very delicious and has a lot of benefits for health:
- Aids in weight loss
- Boosts immune system and energy levels
- Protect kidney and skin again infections
- Reduces risk of breast, colon and kidney cancer
- Makes muscles to grow.
- Helps to reduce blood pressure
And much more.
You can find two canned versions with tuna, in oil and in water. For weight loss always choose the water one. The only downside of canned tuna is if you eat too much of them there is a mercury poison danger.
At first, I thought that mercury poisoning was caused by the can process, but after a deeper investigation, and thanks for a comment left in this post, I realized my mistake. Tuna have mercury in their systems because the oceans are polluted. So, how much tuna can I safely eat? According to with some studies, you can eat 1 or 2 light canned tuna a week. For not canned tuna, if you are a 120 lbs. woman, it is safe to eat 4 oz. a week. If you are a 200 lbs. man, you can safely eat 6 oz. a week. You can check a mercury calculator for eating fish here.
There are a lot of ways to eat tuna fish. Here is one:
Tomato and bean salad with grilled Tuna
- 2 heirloom tomatoes cut into pieces.
- 1 can of white, black or red beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup of tarragon leaves
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 3 thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tuna steaks (8 ounces approx.)
- Salt and pepper
- Combine beans, lemon juice, olive oil, scallions, and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat grill to medium.
- Spread some oil into the grapes.
- Season both sides of the tuna fillets with salt and pepper.
- Grill and turn once, until medium rare, from 2 to 4 minutes.
- Serve and top with the tomato and bean salad.
6-. Cottage cheese
What is cottage cheese? It`s a not processed cheese, it’s a fresh cheese that hasn’t undergo an aging or ripening process. It`s made directly from milk and is a white, creamer cheese.
It can be made from full, reduced or non-fat milk.
A number of calories that it can provide depend on the type of milk fat that was used to create it. It also has a lot of protein, phosphorus, selenium, B12 vitamin, Riboflavin, calcium, and folate, among other vitamins and minerals.
So, why it is good for weight loss? Because it has few calories, high-quality proteins, a lot of nutrients and calcium which a lot of studies links it to weight loss. It also helps to increase the feeling of fullness because it contains casein protein which helps to achieve this.
The only problem is to people who are intolerant to lactose or have a whey allergy because they may experience diarrhea, stomach pain or gas.
7.- Boiled potatoes
Potatoes have an unfair bad fame thanks to the fried chips and French potatoes which are high in calories due to the oil that was used when making them.
They have a little something of all the substances that we need to live. Are very rich in Potassium which helps in blood pressure control.
There is a list of foods that help reach satiety, and boiled potatoes are on top of that list.
There is a right way and a wrong way when boiling potatoes, here are some tips on how to do it right.
- Choose the potatoes: It has to be firm to the touch, not soft, and the skin should be smooth with relative free of dark spots or a shade of green on the peel.
- Preparation: Always leave the skin. This keeps the nutrients and flavor inside while boiling. If you really can`t stand eating the potatoes skin, then peel only after you finish boiling it. For faster cooking, cut the potatoes in pieces, the smaller they are the fastest they cook, but if you are going to peel them then you should cut them in larger pieces. I personally prefer to cut the potatoes in 4 pieces for a faster cooking.
- Potatoes suck flavors very easy, so you should add salt to the boiling water. Not only that, you can add spices and herbs to the pot, like black pepper, garlic or pieces of onion and you will enhance the taste of your boiled potatoes.
- Put the potatoes in your pan and add the water (it should completely cover the potatoes) and any other ingredient before heating, this way the potatoes will cook evenly. Always watch your pot for adding water if needed. Maintain the boiling in a gentle simmer.
- Be careful not to overcook your potatoes. You will know they are ready when you can slide the tip of a knife all the way through without resistance. As soon they are ready, remove them from the heat and drain them, this way they won`t overcook.
Always let them cool before eating, this way they will form resistant starch which is like soluble fiber that has a lot of benefits to our body like enhancing insulin sensitivity, lower blood sugar levels and improving metabolic health.
8-. Unprocessed meat.
Usually, all processed food is full of bad substances for us, like jam or sausages. Have you ever watch how they are made? I`m certain you will never eat them again if you know how they are made.
Raw meat is high in protein and other essential nutrients and should always be part of your loss weight diet.
There are a lot of ways that you can cook meat, some are healthier than others. If you make fried steak with a lot of oil you will add the calories of the oil. The best ways to cook meat is either in an oven or to have the meat grilled.
Here is a recipe which includes meat:
- 250 g scotch fillet steak
- 100g salad mix
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup snow peas sliced in half
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Pinch sugar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a medium frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Place fillet in pan and cook each side for about 3 minutes.
- Place on a plate, cover with foil and set aside.
- Arrange salad mix in a bowl, place grape tomatoes and snow peas on top.
- Slice beef into thin slices, place on salad and pour dressing over the top.
- Serve and enjoy.
There are a lot of ways in which you can cook your food, and one of the healthiest ways is to boil the ingredients. If you have different vegetables boiled together then you are making a soup. You can even add some kind of meat or raw chicken which will enhance your soup.
Adding water to your meal helps improve satiety, also can keep all the nutrients in your food, because if you overheat food you can destroy the nutrients in that food, which you can safely avoid by just boiling your food because it will never reach more than 100 centigrades of temperature, the boiling point of water.
There is a big misunderstanding about the difference between Pomelo and grapefruit, but they are different fruits. Pomelo (Citrus maxima) is native to South and Southeast Asia, while grapefruit is a hybrid from Pomelo and sweet oranges. This happened naturally in Barbados when a trade Ship introduces the Pomelo seeds into Barbados in the 17 century.
Many people believe that drinking grapefruit juice helps to burn fat. Grapefruits have a very low glycemic index and this can enable the body`s metabolism to burn fat.
Also, it is a source of Vitamin C and potassium, fiber pectin and antioxidant lycopene
These are some benefits of consuming grapefruit:
Lower ischemic stroke risk for women.
Helps improve heart strokes resistance
Helps skin health and asthma prevention thanks it`s high amount of vitamin C.
For better results, you can eat a half of a grapefruit half an hour before your main meal or you can make fresh grapefruit juice (don’t use the bottled juice because they have added sugar).
There is a downside for this fruit, it contains an enzyme with binding capabilities which makes some medication to have a heightened effect. The most common drugs that interact with grapefruit are Statin and psychiatric drugs and calcium channel blockers.
Stevia is a natural sweetener that can replace sugar. We all know how sugar is a big problem for health, most of the people are consuming way to much sugar on a daily basis, and it is a big contributor to diabetes and overweight. If you haven´t heard of Stevia give it a try, it is a natural plant, not like the other sweeteners that are chemical made.
So if you want to be healthier and/or want to lose weight you should consider adding these foods to your diet.
There are many types of diets, and one of them is the Dash Diet, read my article DASH DIET MADE EASY EBOOK REVIEW where you can find a good ebook about this topic.
Please leave comments if you have any doubt and if you have any other suggestion of food that should be on this list.